- Dust shelves, blinds, vents, moldings, light fixtures
Start from the highest spaces and work your way down so that dust doesn’t fall onto already cleaned surfaces.
- Wash your windows
- Clean all window treatments
(Including your shower curtain).
- Dishwasher: Clean all debris from the food trap. Run a cycle on empty on the hottest setting with white vinegar. Pour a cup of vinegar into a dishwasher safe bowel or coffee cup and place top-up in the top rack. The contents will disperse during the washing cycle and clean the machine’s interior as well as remove any foul odors.
- Flip your mattress
It’s something you should do every season. You’ll get more use out of it and you’ll sleep better.
- Change your winter bedding
Even if it just means storing woolier blankets away.
- Change your clothes from warm to cool and pack away your seasonal clothes.
- Donate unwanted clothes
Wash down both the interior and exterior of your washer and dryer with a mild, all-purpose cleaner (make sure there’s no residue leftover that could cause a bubbly overflow next load!). You can also run an empty washer on a large load, hot cycle with vinegar; just dump a cup of white vinegar into top loaders (add a few clean cloths if you want extra agitation) and pour into the bleach dispenser for front loaders and make sure to select the extra rinse cycle. And although you should be cleaning your dryer vent filter of lint after each load (Ia clogged vent is a fire hazard), now is a good time to wash it at as well in soapy water. Rinse and dry thoroughly before re-installing.
- Check your smoke detector batteries
Replace your HVAC air filters too.
- Clean out your medicine cabinet and makeup bag
- Kill Germs on Most-Touched Surfaces
You may not be a fan of chemical-laden cleaning supplies but this is the one instance where a good old fashioned can of Lysol does the trick (yes, tea tree and other essential oils can also work). Spray and wipe down all handles, door knobs, remote controls and light switches (don’t spray switches directly; spray a little onto a cloth and wipe down).
- Don’t Neglect Your Balcony
Sweep and wash down your balcony and exterior door if you have one. Get into the track and door frame as per your interior clean to get out all that city grunge. Just make sure to be considerate of your neighbours; do not let debris or water flow off of your deck.
- Don’t Forget the Power of Fresh Air!
Air the place out. If you have functioning windows, open wide on the first bright, sunshine-y day and let nature do its trick.