Winter is around the corner and nobody likes getting those painfully expensive home heating bills. They are worse than the cold weather! Here are a couple tips to keep your heating bill low and your spirits high this winter season.
- Add weather stripping to your doors and windows -> keep those nasty drafts from seeping in at any window or door frame around the house.
- Insulate your attic and/or cellar -> closing in your attic will keep your precious hot air from rising up there, and closing in your cellar will prevent the cold underground air from seeping into your main floor.
- Free Home Energy Audits -> many home heating companies provide free home inspections to let you know where the majority of your heat is escaping and what you can to prevent it. Take advantage of this!
- Monitor your use -> make note of your usage, turn down the heat at night and turn it off when you are out for long periods of time.
- Buy portable heaters -> if your home is heated by older radiators that don’t heat up larger rooms well, use space heaters or portable heaters that you un-plug when not needed.
- Only heat the rooms you use -> turn off the heat in the rooms you don’t use often.
- Bundle Up! -> Easiest thing you can do? Throw on a sweater! Your bank account will thank you later.